Sunday, June 24, 2012

It's been a long time. But I have been tinkering...

She is officially mobile!  Today was the first time I pushed her out into the driveway so I could get some decent progress pics to upload.  Man that felt good.  Probably should update where I am on the build. 

Front end is pretty much together.  Suspension is built and tacked in place, steering rack is mounted, channel-locks attached to steering shaft (gotta have on of those!).  I did end up switching from Chevette to Miata uprights because parts are way easier to find - and there are even some aftermarket parts available for the Miata.  Only thing I didn't really like about it is the way the steering and lower mount have such a high angle - next time I build one I will have to take that into account and angle the mounts for the rod ends.  Next time.  For now, there is only a little bit of binding at full droop of the arms so I can live with that. 

Engine is semi-mounted (2 of 4 mounts built) and the brackets for the jack-shaft are tacked in also.

I even got the car onto some scales to see how I'm doing on the weight distribution - not too bad!  With me in it it was 222 LF, 225 RF, 385 R (front rotors/calipers not installed so closer to 234, 237, 385).  The left right was pretty much dead nuts so that made me happy.  The rear is still a little heavy compared to the front, but just about everything left to add to the car will be in the front so the majority of the additional weight will be where I need it.

Here's some pics!








6 comments:

  1. Hi! Nice. Is it finish as of November 2013? I'm in the process of building my reverse trike, I have a question, were did you purchase all of the front axle kit, suspension and steering-pinion kit?

    Thanks,
    Donald

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like most of my projects, this one is stalled. The steering rack is from an early Chevette (no power steering). The uprights and brake hardware are Miata, the upper arms are from http://ubmachine.com/upperheimjoint.html and the lower arms are fabricated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info. I encourage you to restart this project. On my side, I'm now designing a new electric motor and will be installed on my reverse trike. View my blog http:// openvolta . blogspot . com or project web site openvolt . org. I hope to have this motor up and running before the end of this year.

    Go go go 65tux.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whats going on with this build? It hasnm't been updated in 2 years. Do you want to sell it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whats going on with this build? It hasnm't been updated in 2 years. Do you want to sell it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also in MI, and a triumph Fan....any update on this?

    ReplyDelete