Saturday, November 19, 2011

Inspiration for the front end

I've been hesitating on the front end design.  I don't want a box.  I don't want a wedge.  I want curves.  Problem is, the frame at the firewall is pretty wide - about 42".  Based on the steering rack I have, the front end lower suspsension pivot needs to be about 25".  So from the firewall, I have to come in about 8" per side in a very short length.  I just couldn't think of a pretty way to do the body with an open wheel/bicycle fender look - a-la the Lotus.  Then I saw a pic of an Audi Lemans car:


 and the epiphany.  I have nothing at all in the front end of this car except steering, suspension and brakes.  Why not make it a slant nose, bubble fender enclosed front end?  Searching around for a little more inspiration, I came back to Lotus and really cheesy old-school looks of the XI:
Move the cockpit to the other side, reduce some of the bubbleness of it and that's me.  So once I do get to doing the body, some kind of blend between the old and new is the plan.  What this does for the build is frees me from having to make the frame rails up front look good/proportional when exposed - because they won't be!

No comments:

Post a Comment