Sunday, November 27, 2011

Holiday Progress!

Holidays are great. You get a couple days off work to visit family and get all those things done you've been putting off. I had this strange idea I was going to get tons of work done on the trike. Yeah, not so much. But, finally, Sunday was my day. Got to spend a good 5 or 6 hours on it, made some decent headway. My goal is to have it on it's own 3 wheels by the end of the Christmas break. I'm happy with the progress so far - today I got the roll-bar tacked made and tacked in place and I cut and layed out the front end chassis. I've updated the drawing somewhat with a new sloped nose front end and have figured out most of the mounting points based on the uprights I'm using. Really need to get some wheels before I finalize it.

Some parts I have acquired: Steering rack and uprights/hubs/rotors from a Chevette. Got those from my dwarf car racing days - they regularly use the Chevette uprights and rotors. The steering rack was in my first beater car - one of the first things I ripped out and replaced because it was way too wide for a dwarf car. Perfect for the Trike though!

Found a rear shock that I think will work perfectly. Had a problem when I flipped the swingarm upside-down because there used to be a 6" wide pivot where I plan to mount the shock. I had to come up with a way to put a sturdy shock mount there - spanning a 6" gap with a 10mm bolt. No way that would work as is. The shock I found though fixed most of that - got it from an '86 Kawasaki GPZ 1000. What's slick is it has a T bottom mount instead of an eye. That will let me distribute a lot of that force for the shock bolt across a much wider area. The lenth was perfect, will let me do a simple mount to the top frame rail. Plus, it's an air shock so I can play with ride height easily!

Got a couple of sprockets from Fastenal and a 1" shaft from Ebay to start building the jackshaft assembly. Have alot of thinking/fabbing for that one, but that comes later. Bearings are my big wonder there - it's easy to go buy a pillow-block bearing but I have a hard time believing a $20 setup will hold up under the speed/force of a jackshaft. Research required...

Don't have them yet but ordered my pedals/master cylinders and a steering wheel from Desert Karts - I have got to build me one of those some day... Anyways, on to the pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment