Thursday, December 22, 2011

Triangles and Packaging

Of course it's never as much progress as you intended/hoped for - but this thing is starting to look a lot more like something you can drive!  The front end is worked out (except the upper shock mounts), figured out what I think is the best way to stiffen it and have been adding metal bit by bit.  Still have a handful more pieces to put in, but I don't want to close it in so much it's hard to get around the bits to weld.  It's getting to that fun (to some oddballs like me) part - packaging.  Figuring out where all the big parts will go and how to mount them without makind dumb looking, obviously afterthought bracketry.  I think I have it mostly worked out - see new the pics and let me know what you think!  Originally I had planned to have the tank in front of the engine but after moving it as far forward as I could it was way too close to the headers for my comfort  - but I think where it is sitting will work out OK.  Can't wait to pull up to a gas station, pop the door in the middle of the hood to put gas in it.

Should have another set of posts in the very near future - have tires and should be getting wheels tomorrow!  The one thing I am struggling with right now is shocks.  I have a pretty straighforward way to mount them, should have plenty of travel with a 4 or 5" shock but I'm just really nervous about spending that kind of coin on something I'm not sure how it is going to work.  There really aren't any shocks out there designed for a 1000lb vehicle - anybody have advice on proper valving and spring rates?

I have got to get a real camera. The quality of these pictures stinks...





No comments:

Post a Comment